Work Experience Opportunities
Here at Honeybank, our world revolves around animals and their care. If you share our passion, why not take advantage of our WORK EXPERIENCE OPPORTUNITIES?
We offer work experience placements to suitable students aged 18 years or over, and studying an animal related subject at college or university.
Placements are usually for a minimum of two weeks.
We also offer a maximum of two INTERNSHIPS each year.
We have a waiting list for placements, so please CONTACT US well in advance of your preferred dates.
What would I actually be doing during my work experience?
Work at Honeybank includes:
- Preparing food and feeding a wide range of animals;
- Grooming and exercising animals;
- Cleaning pens and cages;
- Caring for injured raptors (owls and birds of prey);
- Maintaining animal enclosures;
- Record keeping;
- Handling animals on TV and film work;
- Training animals for TV and film work;
- Training animals for public displays.
What kind of person are you looking for?
To be considered for work experience at Honeybank, you will need to be at least 18 years old, on an animal-related course at college or university, be able to demonstrate an interest in working with animals, and willing to work hard to ensure the wellbeing of the animals in your care.
How long are work experience placements?
Work experience at Honeybank is normally for a minimum of two weeks; vet students may attend for a minimum of seven days.
How do I apply for work experience?
In the first instance, you should send us a full CV, which must include details of two referees (not family members) who can vouch for your abilities in the field of animal care. Give details of your availability and the dates you would like.
If you are considered suitable, you will be asked to attend an informal interview, with successful applicants being informed within a few days of the interview.
Are there opportunities for longer periods of work experience?
We also run an INTERNSHIP SCHEME for those interested in learning more about the profession and obtaining invaluable experience, thus demonstrating a serious commitment to working with animals.
We are pleased to offer a limited number of internships suitable for those pursuing a career in animal training, animal behaviour, animal care, zoo work, falconry etc. These positions offer individuals a unique opportunity to learn in a professional environment, thus giving valuable assistance to those serious about a career working with animals. Our internships run for twelve months.
As we have limited vacancies, we select our interns very carefully. Candidates should be educated to A level as a minimum, and be able to demonstrate a commitment to working with animals.
Work at Honeybank will include;
- Animal husbandry and day-to-day care of a wide range of species (mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibia, invertebrates);
- Animal training, including training for media work;
- Working with the general public;
- Caring for sick and injured raptors (birds of prey and owls);
- Handling a wide range of animals;
- Cleaning and maintaining pens and cages;
- Record keeping.
Suitable applicants will have the opportunity to obtain qualifications while working with us, as well as gaining valuable experience in a wide range of skills required to earn a living within the animal care industry.
In return, we expect our interns to show a genuine commitment and a willingness to learn.
The normal working week will be a minimum of 30 hours per week with some weekend, Bank Holiday and evening work required. Interns may also be called on to work off-site, e.g. on TV and film sets.
We are currently accepting applications for Internships, to start from June 2020.
To apply for any of these positions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org providing the following information:
- A full and detailed CV;
- Why you wish to work with us and why you wish to apply for this position;
- Experience to date;
- Animal related qualifications, including courses you are currently attending;
- Details of further courses or study you intend to undertake;
- Two reasons why you should be the one we should choose.
All applications are treated in complete confidence.